Helping You Find the Best Path Forward
Bakersfield Domestic Violence Attorney
Understanding Domestic Violence Cases in CA
If you or somebody you know is currently suffering from domestic violence, please consider contacting the National Domestic Violence Hotline by calling 1-800-787-3224 or texting "START" to 88788. If you're in Kern County, this list of resources may also be helpful. Stay safe.
Domestic violence cases can be challenging to navigate, particularly if you're not sure what your options are concerning protections you may be able to receive.
At Divorced By Design, our Kern County domestic violence lawyers can help you pursue the best outcome in your case, working with you to explore options such as obtaining different types of protective orders.
To schedule a consultation with our Bakersfield domestic violence lawyer and receive the help and support you deserve for your domestic violence case, contact us online or via phone at (661) 760-2872.
Understanding Domestic Violence in CA
Under California law, if a current or former partner, co-parent, cohabitant, or family member conducts one of the following acts against you, it qualifies as an act of domestic violence:
- Causes you physical injury, or attempts to do so. This includes actions such as striking, molesting, battering, or attacking you;
- Commits or attempts to commit an act of sexual assault against you;
- Threatens you or harasses you, in person or through other means such as via phone calls, emails, texts, and social media messages;
- Disturbs your peace on your property, including coercing you into isolating yourself from support systems, friends and family, depriving you of your basic needs, or attempting to control, regulate, or monitor your actions in some other way, either by force or through emotional abuse; or
- Stalks you.
If an individual commits the following acts against you, you may be able to receive a restraining order against them.
How Do I File a Restraining Order?
Filing a restraining order is not often a decision lightly made. The way in which a restraining order is filed is typically dependent on the unique circumstances of the occurence that led to filing a restraining order. In California, survivors/victims of domestic violence can receive one of the following types of protective orders:
- Emergency protective order (EPO). Emergency protective orders are typically issued at the site of domestic violence occurrences. If a law enforcement professional (LEP) shows up to a disturbance and believes a restraining order is necessary, they can contact a judge, who will immediately issue an EPO. Judges typically only issue EPOs if they believe an individual is at immediate risk of suffering further violence if an EPO is not issued.
- Temporary Restraining Order (TRO). If you are suffering from domestic violence, you can go to a local court and apply for a restraining order. If the judge presiding over the case believes you are at risk of further harm if you do not receive a restraining order, they can issue a TRO to protect you until the court arranges a full hearing for your case, even if the other party isn't present at the time the TRO is issued. After issuing a TRO, courts typically try to establish a hearing within three weeks.
- Permanent Protective Order (PPO). At the hearing, both parties have the opportunity to present their cases to the court. After hearing from both parties, the court will decide whether to issue a PPO. Despite the moniker, PPOs are often not permanent - by default, they last three years in California, although they can last as many as five if the court deems it necessary. However, if you believe you are still at risk at the time your PPO is about to expire, you can request an extension. The court will review your case, after which it will decide whether an extension is necessary.
What Can a Restraining Order Do for Me?
Obtaining a restraining order has a wide range of benefits for individuals suffering from domestic violence. Obtaining a restraining order could:
- Order the alleged abuser to leave any property you share with them;
- Prevent the alleged abuser from coming within a certain distance of you at any time;
- Prevent the alleged abuser from coming within a certain distance of your family;
- Order the alleged abuser to relinquish custody of your children;
- Order the alleged abuser to relinquish control of certain items, such as guns, that could be used to perpetrate further harm;
- And more.
At Divorced By Design, our Kern County domestic violence attorneys have experience helping survivors/victims of domestic violence pursue and obtain a wide range of domestic orders. We'll work with you to ensure you pursue an outcome in your domestic violence case that enables you to thrive.
To schedule a consultation with our Bakersfield domestic violence lawyer or learn more about our services, contact us online or via phone at (661) 760-2872.
Would recommend him 100x
“Mr. Rice went above and beyond for my parents. He answered all of our questions and made us feel very comfortable and at ease! Would recommend him 100x.”- Chelsey Crump
He’s a man of his word and he takes the worry out of this process
“I highly recommend Garrett Rice if you need a divorce attorney. Divorce can be chaotic and stressful but not with him. He’s a man of his word and he takes the worry out of this process. his office is very responsive and they are with you every step of the way! Garrett goes above and beyond!!!”- Whitney Rainwater
Garret represented my case with the utmost professionalism and care
“Garret represented my case with the utmost professionalism and care. I really felt that he provided a personal touch with his representation. I thoroughly believe that without his knowledge and litigation expertise, I would have had a different outcome in my case.”- Nick Lidgett
Whether you need your divorce handled with white gloves or a shark in the court Garrett is your man!
“Mr. Rice is an amazing lawyer not only was he efficient he listened to my needs and the needs of my children and executed them perfectly in court. He’s a no-nonsense lawyer with a proven track record. Whether you need your divorce handled with white gloves or a shark in the court Garrett is your man! I will definitely recommend him to any and everyone I know! I’ve had 2 other lawyers in Bakersfield and no one is even close to as good as him. He’s the smartest person in the room by far and doesn’t accept the games played in family court.”- Justin Debrum
Garrett is a very compassionate and understanding attorney
“Garrett is a very compassionate and understanding attorney. He is not in it for the money but only for the best interest of you and your family. He will not give you false hopes during the case. Garrett is always prepared for court, speaks very direct, dresses very nicely and is presentable for court, and is highly favored by the judges. Every time we went to court we received the results we wanted and he did all the talking. He defends you in and out of court when the other side wants to get out of line. I love that he gives his clients his direct number and you can contact him directly whenever. We are very seasoned with the attorneys here in Bakersfield, and 98% of them are money hungry, have no interest in your case (but they will fake it to get your money), and will continue your case for years which equals thousands of dollars you will never see again. So! If you are looking for an attorney who will get the job done and genuinely cares about you or are debating changing attorneys because they fall in that 98% category, GARRETT IS YOUR MAN! You’ll thank me later 😉”- Camille Elijah
Family-CenteredOur team is here to shoulder the legal burden of your case so that you can focus on caring for your family.
Free ConsultationsWe understand you have questions, our firm provides free consultations to help get you started in the right direction.
Flexible SchedulesWe understand that dealing with a family law dispute is never easy. We want to help ease that burden by making ourselves available when you need us most.
Customized StrategiesOur attorneys will customize their strategy to you and your needs, helping you identify and pursue a positive resolution in your case.
Take the First Step With Our Firm
Call 661-760-2872 Or Fill Out the Form to Get Started With Your Consultation